This colorful vintage Zuni Sunface, butterfly and Peyote Bird necklace, originally created by native Zuni artists and reimagined and assembled into a unique piece by artist Susan Backus, is a true statement piece. Susan Backus loves old historic pieces of jewelry, and she reimagines individual pieces into wearable, one of a kind works of art.
The Sunface is an ancient symbol in Zuni culture, it represents the sacred Sun Father. The Zuni have always honored the suns vital role in the cycling of seasons and the success of crops. The central butterfly symbolizes transformation in Native American lore, while the Peyote Bird is a symbol of renewal of life, signifies distant vision and travel, also the rainy season, rivers, and wisdom.
Mother of pearl, turquoise, coral and jet are cut and laid into hand-formed silver settings. Each side of the necklace is finished with Zuni-shaped mosaic moons and all pieces are attached with a handmade silver chain.
- c. 1950's
- Necklace length measures 24"
- Vintage items can have some general wear and tear, discoloration and scratches.
- Additional photos and measurements can be provided upon email request, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Delivery & Returns
- FREE SHIPPING at checkout.
- Signature required for delivery & insurance will be automatically applied free of charge during the labeling process.
- If you are not satisfied upon arrival, please email email@example.com along with your order number to discuss refunds and returns.
- Jewelry must be labeled for return within 3 business days of delivery date. After that time, all jewelry sales will be considered final sale.
- Returns are done at the expense of the customer and must include tracking information with the carrier of your choosing.